Friday 3 January 2014

Indian Fish Curry

I love fish curry! The way to enjoy fish curry is just endless. Fish curry is a MUST with prata, while others will enjoy it with just a plate of white rice or dip with french loaf.
I for myself been eating a lot of curries since young. My dad is half-Indian by blood. My late step grandfather, an Indian too. We used to live together. Teh tarik, curries & dhal were our daily affairs. I would say I've eaten enough curries! Cooked by either my late granny or my mom.
But do I cook good curry?
Armed with just my instincts and the flavor profile that I got from having this fish curry over and over again, I decided to try to recreate it.
So far, feedback has been good :D Why dont you try my recipe and share it with me?

Indian Fish Curry 
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 30mins
Serves: 2-3 pax

Ingredients
Few slices of Mackerel steaks (cut about 1 inch thick)
Few cherry tomatoes
5-6 whole okra (medium size)
1/2 cup water + 1 cup water for tamarind pulp
60gm tamarind pulp

Curry paste (blend these ingredients)
3 cloves garlic
1 medium size red onions
3 whole green chillies
1 inch of ginger, 
1/3 cup of fish curry powder
1 Tbsp of meat curry powder

To fry
1 medium size red onion (julienne)
2 tsp mustard seeds
1-2 sprig of curry leaves
Cinnamon stick
Cloves
Star Anise
Cardamon
Pandan leaves

Salt and Sugar to taste
1/2 cup cooking oil

Method:
1. Start by blending the garlic, chilies, onions and ginger into a paste. In a bowl, mix fish curry and meat curry powder to the blended paste.

 

2. Heat up the pot with medium heat and add the oil. Throw in the julienne onions, curry leaves and the pandan leaves, stirring constantly to make sure it doesn’t burn. Next, throw in the cinnamon stick, cloves, star anises, cardamon and mustard seeds. Fry that until fragrant for about 2mins or just enough to caramelise the onionsWhen it start to smell really fragrant, add in the blended curry paste. Stir fry for another 5mins. Make sure you don’t burn your spices.


3. At this point you won’t have enough oil so have ready your 1/2 cup of water to pour in. Once poured the water, stir, and bring the heat up to high to bring the curry to a boil.

4. Mix the other one cup of water together with the tamarind pulp. Mash the pulp until the water is muddy looking. Using a sieve, add the tamarind juice to the curry, pressing to get all the liquid out of the pulp and into the stock. At this point, your curry will taste sour and not very flavorful. Don’t worry about it – the fish will add sweetness :D
5. Add about 1/2 tsp to a tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp to a tsp of sugar, allow the curry to come to a boil. Throw in your tomatoes and okra. Add in the fish. Turn your heat down and let it simmer on low heat for about 10mins. In order not to overcook the fish, switch the flame off, so the fish will remain cooking in the hot curry for another 5mins. 

6. Serves hot. Enjoy!

P/S: Be sure to Follow my Blog to get a heads up when new recipes are posted! If you liked this recipe, share and like this recipe so the world can know about it! Many thanks! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment