Wednesday 29 January 2014

Asam Pedas Ikan (Asam Fish)

Some say that the best Asam Pedas originates from Malacca. But my visit to Malacca proves that if the preservation of the dish was meant just for preservation sake, with no improvements or better made on that dish, it was a total disappointment. Not to mention, overcooked fish, super diluted gravy...Urgh..

I have been savouring homecooked Asam Pedas since I was young till I take it for granted. My mom is notoriously well-known among the family and friends for her Asam Pedas. When there were special occasions or feasts, my mom was paid to cook Asam Pedas. You see?? Even though she prefers to help, people really appreciates her cooking and generously paid her for the skills!

I for one had never buy Asam Pedas when I eat out because I prefer to cook it  (my version) for my family (the fact that there's only three of us, made cooking much easier, lol)...and of course...my Mom is around and Asam Pedas has been a weekly affair at my parents place! hahaha XD

Verdict: I wouldn't say that my Asam Pedas is the best but my father in-law, a Malaccan, gave two thumbs up and he declared my Asam Pedas a MUST EAT! Yeay!!

Asam Pedas Ikan 
Prep time: 15mins
Cook time: 20mins
Serves: 2 pax

Note: Cooking and prep time were shorter as I had the main Sambal paste prepared and stored in advance ^_^


Ingredients:
4 steaks of Mackerel (you are free to use any types of fish but my suggestion was to use firm steaks of fish like Mackerel or Tuna)
6 finger-size Okra (locally known: Lady finger). Substitute: Aubergine (Eggplant) or Pickled Chye Sim
MUST HAVE: Few sprigs of Laksa leaves (Daun Kesom in Malay)

For the gravy:
1 tbsp oil
3/4 cup Sambal Chili (click for the recipe)
60gm Tamarind pulp
1 tbsp Kerisik Kelapa
1 stick Lemongrass (slit in long halves. This is the best way to extract lemongrass juice)
Few slices of Ginger

Salt, Black Pepper and Sugar to taste (not too much sugar. Just 1/2 to 1 tspn was enough. It helps to balance the sourness of the tamarind)

Above: Kerisik Kelapa (bought it from Sheng Siong Supermarket)

Method:

1) Mix the Tamarind pulp in water, extract the juice and set aside.

2) Heat up pot with a tablespoon of oil.

3) With medium flame, fry in the Sambal chili, kerisik kelapa, lemongrass and ginger for about 5mins. Ensure that you don't burn it.



4) Add in the Tamarind juice. At this point you may add the Laksa leaves. Do note that Laksa leaves are not vegetable. It is a form of herbs. Hence, it requires slightly longer cooking time to extract the best out of it. Add in salt and sugar to taste. Add in the black pepper too. Bring the gravy to boil.



5) Once boiling, add in the okras and the fish steaks. Cover pot. Simmer for 10mins and switch off flame. Let the hot gravy continue to cook the fish for another 5mins. This is to prevent from overcooking the fish. Tadaa!!! Enjoy with hot steam rice!

NOTE: Gravy must be boiling before adding the fish. I've seen some cooks who will add the fish while waiting for the gravy to boil. They believed that once the gravy boils, the fish will be cooked at the same time. In fact, that resulted in broken and dry fish steaks. We don't want that. Remember, Fish doesn't require a long time to cook. It can even be eaten raw.


***************************************************************************
P/S: Be sure to Follow my Blog to get a heads up when new recipes are posted! If you liked this recipe, share and like this recipe so the world can know about it! Many thanks! xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment